Friday, June 18, 2010

Tucker's Post - day 4


Since I've been in Okinawa, I've seen so much and tried so many new things. Okinawa compared to the U.S. is like a whole different world. I've tried so many new things (i.e. goya, octopus, squid, eel). So far, we've gone to Shurijo Castle, Memory Park, Okinawa World, and Gyokusendo caves. it's been a lot of fun, and I've met so many new people and made a lot of new friends. The only downsides of Okinawa are the mosquitoes and the heat. Other than that, it's beautiful and one of the most amazing places I've ever seen. my host family is very nice and hospitable, and they help fulfill my need to try new things. with my host family, I've gone to the grocery store, went out for tempura,and also visited a karate dojo. My host student (Idomu Kinjo) is cool and we have a lot of stuff in common. He is patient and does his best to translate things to me, and I'm very thankful for that. I've had a great time in Okinawa, but at the same time, I miss my friends and family in America. however, I know I'll only be here a few weeks, so I'm making the best of my time and enjoying it while I can. I want to see all I can and try everything I can, as well. This really is a once in a lifetime chance, so I'm trying my best to not get homesick.








The Okinawa Peace Memorial Park memorializes every single individual who died during the 3 month battle for Okinawa during WWII. There are American, Irish, Australian, Chinese, Korean and Japanese (just to name a few) names inscribed on these monuments.









Ben found the city that his ancestors are from and took pictures of all the names that share his last name. Perhaps his grandma can tell him if he is related to anyone that is memorialized here.











The whole group at the Peace Memorial flame site. This looks out over the ocean where many people gave their lives during the Battle of Okinawa. Almost as many civilians died in the battle as did military personnel. The tiny island was besieged with 6,800,000 bombs - enough for 50 per civilian living on the island.







Saturday and Sunday are the days for Koyo High School's annual festival - Koyo-sai. You will be amazed to see the transformation of the school into... well, I'm not quite sure how to describe it...
All of the classes do some performance or project. Here is Lucy practicing a Hawaiian dance with her homeroom. They also constructed a gigantic tiki to post in the foyer to attract people to come watch!

1 comment:

henry hoppe said...

Interesting piece in the Japan Times about the Okinawa tunnels that might interest/be of use to you:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20100613x1.html

best regards

henry