Friday, June 25, 2010

Lauren's Post - Leaving Okinawa

This morning everyone left okinawa, it was a sad day, everyone had become so close with their families! I sure am going to miss everyone in mine, it really felt like home.
Last night one of my friend's dad invited us to have a party at his restaurant, it was a traditional japanese restaurant, complete with the tatami mats. The food was delicous, I especially enjoyed the tako sunomono!
My host father wrote me a nice letter
and read it to me during the dinner, it was so sweet. They also gave me a coffee table book full of cats in japan!
Sunday is my birthday! Ill be 18! Sensei says were going out to karaoke that night!
About noon we got into kyoto, and ate lunch at the conbini, i had some angel hair pasta.
After that we went to one of the shinto shrines here, I bought a fortune, and it told me Id have a safe trip so long as I took care!
We went to the shopping district for a few hours also, it was way neat, kinda like a half indoor half outdoor mall, it seemed to stretch on forever, it was more or less a maze, I found a really cheap scarf too.
We ate at a sukiyaki place tonight, it was alright, but wayy too much food in the bowl.
Our hostel is pretty nice, although all the girls are crammed into one room, thats 8 of u
s, 4 bunk beds in a room the size of a dorm (maybe smaller)
Anyhow, its been a pretty long day so I'll see everyone July 2nd! Im excited to come
home!















Students walking through the gate at Heian Jingu Shrine. Before you enter a shrine area it is traditional to purify yourself.

No comments: