Thursday, June 17, 2010

Katharine's post







Hey =) so we be havin lots of fun. I mean I definitely don't understand 90% of what is going on in class, especially in ancient Japanese. I don't know about the others but when i talk to the Japanese students and such it's usually a mix of Japanese and English so we usually can communicate pretty well and get across what we're trying to say.








Yesterday we went to Shurijo Castle, which was Okinawa's old Kingdom's castle. When the Japanese took over in the 1800's the castle went into disrepair and was probably looted by the Japanese (I'm not quite sure if that's true). During World War II, in the Battle of Okinawa, the castle was basically completely destroyed. (from what my host parents told me). During the American occupation of Okinawa, the Americans built a university over the grounds and later (I think in the '70's) the castle was rebuilt and remodeled after the 1800's castle (I think). We also saw the king's family tomb which was not as restored as the castle. I thought it was really interesting.
Um... well its goin pretty swell here. I think that everyone is getting along fine with their host families and the Japanese students too. Today we'll go to the Peace Memorial so that'll definitely be interesting.


So I think that's all.... Hope you all are having fun!









Carrena in a science class.





Sarah at Okinawa world with her favorites, Shisa! She knows a lot about Okinawan culture just from reading manga!




At the Peace Memorial Museum on Thursday, we went into a small butterfly garden. Lucy put sugar water on her hand and the butterfly went right to her!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Thanks so much for the daily posts! It's great to see the photos and hear about what you're doing.